Chertoma Ranch is located in the northeast corner of Lee county, 7 miles from Lexington,Texas on CR 411. It is located only 59 Miles from downtown Austin, 132 miles from Houston, and 142 miles from San Antonio. Chertoma Ranch offers beautiful rolling pastures with scattered post oaks which then transitions into thick woods dominated by large post oaks, Water oaks, Elms, and White Cedar. One of the real hidden gems on the property can be found just inside the woods, two large ravines, which converge at the 2 acre lake at the south end of the property.
Topography: In order to really appreciate the dramatic topography this ranch offers you must come explore the woods. Two ravines ranging from 20-30 feet deep travel from northeast to southwest and northwest to southeast then converge into the lake in the south central part of the ranch. The features not only lend themselves to hours of fun exploration for the family but also the potential to expand the current lake into a larger impoundment. Behind the lake on the southwest corner of the property there is a high hill overlooking the lake. The highest point being around 450 feet above sea level and the lowest point at the lake being around 390-400 feet above sea level. See the topography map.
Wildlife: The wildlife species that can be found on the ranch include whitetail deer, turkey, dove, and other vermin. The front pond and back lake are stocked with fish, recently the owner caught a 6 pound bass in the front pond.
Improvements: Located at the end of the long driveway is a 5000 sq. ft. 1.5 story custom build home. The stone home was built in 2000 by the current owner. Along with a nice kitchen and large office, the home has a large family room, living room, and game room. Attached to the back of the house is a large cedar porch overlooking the lake with plenty of room for summer grilling and entertaining. There is also a hot tub for winter enjoyment. At the front northwest corner of the ranch there is a 1100 sq. ft. home which was built in 1989, great for friends and family when they visit. Next to the guest house there is also a large red storage barn with a concrete floor which is about 3000 sq. ft.
Water: The property sits on top of the Carrizo-Wilcox Major Aquifer and also the Queen City Minor Aquifer. Click for Geologic Map. Located on the northeast side of the ranch is a +/- 1 acre pond with a fishing dock and picnic table. The +/- 2 acre lake is located in the south central part of the ranch. Because of the ravines that funnel water to the lake, We believe there is a possibility to expand the lake into a larger impoundment. There is also a small livestock pond near the guest house. TWDB Wells & Spring Map Lee Co.
Minerals: Currently there is not a oil & gas lease on the property and no known history of surface drilling on the ranch. The owner believes to own a portion of the minerals.
Agriculture: The property is Ag exempt with Lee county appraisal district, this exemption is kept by grazing cattle.
History: This property along with the surrounding acreage in the Furnash abstract was granted to John Furnash in 1845. Before receiving the land grant John served in perhaps the earliest confirmed Texas Ranger unit in 1827, he served under Captain Abner Kuykendall. They were ordered to range the country between the Brazos and colorado along the San Antonio Road to protect the colony from surprise Indian raids. John’s father, Charles Furnash was a member of the Stephen F Austin old 300. “Charles resided in the Brazos bottoms south of the Old San Antonio road, in an area known as Furnash Prairie, halfway between Yegua Creek and Tenoxtitlán. He was an excellent marksman and woodsman but utterly uneducated; he was described as good-natured and an incessant talker whose humorous manner of speaking made him a general favorite.” -Texas State Historical Association Lee County Ranch Broker Tallon Martin
“FURNASH, CHARLES,” Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffu14), accessed June 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
BROKER: Tallon Martin