Open Gate Ranch-Farm
370+/- Acres |
Medina County, Hondo, TX view map |
This is a rare opportunity to own a diverse recreational retreat boasting highly productive soils and irrigation water with hill country vistas and brush country all in one remarkable ranch.
- Farm entrance: 7 miles north of Hondo on Hwy 173
- 2400 +/- sq ft custom built 4 bedroom 3 bath caretakers house
- 1400 +/- sq ft 3 bedroom 2 bath Solitaire manufactured home
- 2 domestic Edwards Aquifer wells servicing all of the dwellings
- 2 irrigation Edwards Aquifer wells servicing the 4 center pivots
- 2 large irrigation wells one equipped with 3-phase electric motor rated at 1750GPM and the second mounted with a John Deere Diesel producing 750-1250GPM
- 220 acre feet of Edwards Aquifer “Base” water rights
- Farm has highly productive clay/loam soils which have largely been cleared for crop production with approx. 300 acres sprigged into Coastal Bermuda, the balance is traditional South Texas brush.
- 4 Large Valley-8000 Series pivots support over 225 acres of center pivot irrigated hay meadows
- Each field can usually produce 5 cuttings per year with hay yields from 70-120 sq bales to the acre per cutting.
- Hay is moved to two hay storage barns totaling over 21,000 sq. ft. (50×140 and 100×140) which can hold over 40,000 sq. bales.
- Bale production is highly automated with the use of a bale bundler limiting the labor required to maximize profitability and handling ease.
- Fields are fertilized each cutting under the supervision of Helena Chemical Company and supported by annual soil testing to balance crop needs to enhance quality and productivity.
- Weeds are sprayed as needed and an annual application of Medina Soil activator and molasses enhance the soil to maintain its performance.
- All hay equipment and inventory is available for sale.
- Dove hunting is one of the ranch’s untapped resources, being the northernmost fields on Hwy 173, sunflower or sesame production should yield a large number of birds.
- Farm is high fenced and cleared of big game.
- No current lease or production on the ranch.
- Seller will convey 50% of owned minerals upon closing.
Owners are licensed Agents with Republic Ranches.
CONTACT: Clayton Leonard