Open Gate Ranch-Farm
480+/- Acres |
Medina County, Hondo, TX view map |
This is a rare opportunity to own a diverse recreational retreat boasting highly productive soils and irrigation water with hill country vistas and brush country all in one remarkable ranch.
- Farm entrance: 7 miles north of Hondo on Hwy 173
- 2400 +/- sq ft custom built 4 bedroom 3 bath caretakers house
- 1400 +/- sq ft 3 bedroom 2 bath Solitaire manufactured home
- 2 domestic Edwards Aquifer wells servicing all of the dwellings
- 2 irrigation Edwards Aquifer wells servicing the 4 center pivots
- 2 large irrigation wells one equipped with 3-phase electric motor rated at 1750GPM and the second mounted with a John Deere Diesel producing 750-1250GPM
- 220 acre feet of Edwards Aquifer “Base” water rights
- Farm has highly productive clay/loam soils which have largely been cleared for crop production with approx. 300 acres sprigged into Coastal Bermuda, 80 acres native field to be planted in Coastal, the balance is traditional South Texas brush.
- 4 Large Valley-8000 Series pivots support over 225 acres of center pivot irrigated hay meadows
- Each field can usually produce 5 cuttings per year with hay yields from 70-120 sq bales to the acre per cutting.
- Hay is moved to two hay storage barns totaling over 21,000 sq. ft. (50×140 and 100×140) which can hold over 40,000 sq. bales.
- Bale production is highly automated with the use of a bale bundler limiting the labor required to maximize profitability and handling ease.
- Fields are fertilized each cutting under the supervision of Helena Chemical Company and supported by annual soil testing to balance crop needs to enhance quality and productivity.
- Weeds are sprayed as needed and an annual application of Medina Soil activator and molasses enhance the soil to maintain its performance.
- All hay equipment and inventory is available for sale.
- Dove hunting is one of the ranch’s untapped resources, being the northernmost fields on Hwy 173, sunflower or sesame production should yield a large number of birds.
- Farm is high fenced and cleared of big game.
- No current lease or production on the ranch.
- Seller will convey 50% of owned minerals upon closing.
Owners are licensed Agents with Republic Ranches.
CONTACT: Clayton Leonard